Skip to main content
Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six hours prior to the anesthetic.
- You should take your regular routine medications with a sip of water as far prior to the anesthesia time as possible
- If you take multiple routine oral medications or are a diabetic, please check with us prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not be left alone at home for at least two hours after an anesthetic.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for at least 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed prior to surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, upset stomach or bowels, please notify the office ASAP.